Our Corporate/M&A practice
Our Corporate/M&A practice is a core practice of Niederer Kraft Frey. We rank top-tier in independent legal directories and our lawyers are regularly rated as leaders in their field. In 2018, NKF received the Transatlantic M&A Team of the Year (Large Deal) Award by the American Lawyer. We have repeatedly contributed to major evolutions in Swiss corporate law in order to advance the interests of our clients. Among other things, for Actelion Ltd in its USD 30 billion takeover by Johnson & Johnson, NKF devised a dual deal structure consisting of the takeover and the demerger and spin-off to shareholders of Actelion’s drug discovery and early clinical development business which commentators described as “quantum leap” in Pharma M&A.
We counsel both public and private companies, advising on a wide range of corporate matters, including:
- Domestic and international mergers and acquisitions
- Private Equity and Strategic Investments
- Public M&A and Contests for corporate Control
- Corporate Governance and General Corporate Advice
- Corporate Reorganizations and Spinoffs
- Startups and Venture Capital
- Lead counsel to Actelion in the largest M&A deal in Switzerland and second largest deal in Europe in 2017. NKF devised and implemented a dual deal structure consisting of the USD 30 billion takeover of Actelion by Johnson & Johnson and the demerger and spin-off to shareholders of Actelion’s drug discovery and early clinical development business
- Counsel to Landis+Gyr and its shareholders Toshiba/INCJ in the dual track exit process (M&A sale and IPO), resulting in the CHF 2.3 billion IPO of Landis+Gyr, the largest Swiss and third largest European IPO in 2017
- Swiss Counsel to Worldline on the CHF 2.75 billion strategic partnership where Worldline acquired SIX Payment Services, the payment services division of SIX
- Swiss Counsel to KKR and Alliance Boots GmbH, the Swiss ParentCo, in the USD multi billion acquisition of Alliance Boots by Walgreen Co.
- Counsel to Orange SA (France) in the CHF multi billion sale of Orange Switzerland to Apax
- Swiss counsel to GlaxoSmithKline plc on Swiss law matters in the GSK-Novartis asset swap (Vaccines, Oncology) and joint venture (Consumer Healthcare) transaction
- Counsel to a consortium led by Cellnex Telecom with Swiss Life Asset Managers and Deutsche Telekom Capital Partners on the sale of Swiss Towers AG with a portfolio of 2’239 telecom towers in Switzerland, and an extendible Master Service Agreement for an initial period of 20 years.